Peter Nicholls was born in Whanganui, educated at Elam school of Art Auckland and gained a Masters in Sculpture at the University of Wisconsin (Superior) USA.
His sculptures from the 1970’s and 1980’s are noted for their amalgam of figural, landscape and architectural abstraction, and energised dynamics in large timber works. Tectonic and universal rather than site specific.
From 1990 his work became laterally configured, river hugging and site/place specific, often interrogating historic impositions of order on primal land. Nicholls has numerous large-scale works in private and public collections internationally.
Solo shows – 32 since 1972 – New Zealand, USA
Group shows – New Zealand, South Korea, Australia
Public collections – USA, Australia, New Zealand
Major public commission works – New Zealand, Canada
- New Lynn, Auckland – JUNCTION, 2009.
- Manukau City Pacific Event Centre – FRANGIPANI LEI, 2006
- Dunedin, Custom House harbour development – TOROA (1999)
- Auckland – Aurora, Central Park Penrose – MAMAKU (1988)
- Dunedin – University of Otago – BRIDGE (1985)
- Auckland – University of Auckland – MEASURE (1981)
- City of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – COUNTERPOISE (1978)
Major private commissions
- Connells Bay sculpture park, Waiheke Island, John Gow – TOMO (2005)
- Allan Gibbs Farm, North Auckland – RAKAIA (1996/7)
- Private collection, Auckland, Luff (1988/9)
Works held in Public Art Galleries
- Te Papa, Wellington
- Auckland City Art Gallery
- Dunedin Public Art Gallery
- Manawatu Art Gallery, Palmerston North
- Sarjeant Art Gallery, Whanganui
- Christchurch Art Gallery
- Southland, Invercargill
- Eastern Southland, Gore
- Dowse Art Gallery (Lower Hutt)
Bibliography: Wystan Curnow, Michael Dunn, David Eggleton, Cassandra Fusco, Hamish Keith, Peter Leach, Alexa Johnson, Bridie Lonie, Priscilla Pitts, Ian Wedde and others